Selections are made by a committee comprising affiliated faculty with the CHR. The selection process will prioritise the applications of South Africans of historically disadvantaged groups. The final decision rests with the Advisory Board of the CHR, which is chaired by the Dean of the Faculty of Arts. The Selection Committee may interview applicants.
The fellowship committee will consider each application on its academic merit and fit to research platforms in the CHR. Demographic data will not be released directly to the fellowships committee during their assessment of applications. The data from the demographic info will be used, in keeping with the mandate of equity enshrined in the RSA Constitution, to ensure equity and redress targets are upheld.
This application cannot be saved at any point and must be completed in one sitting. If you are completing the application via offline form, please ensure that all your documents are included in the email you send to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please also note that you will require the following documents for upload during this application and should have them ready before you begin this application. Please tick them off the list at the end of this application after you have included them in your application.
- Proof of application to department at the University of the Western Cape (the academic department beyond the CHR through which the degree will be pursued)
- The names and surnames of three referees who will provide the CHR with reference letters,
- Letter of Motivation on why the Flagship is the best fit for the study,
- Statement on the Humanities in Africa (a brief statement on how your research intervenes in the larger national and international debates on the humanities, especially, albeit not exclusively, as these relate to advancing its study in Africa)
- Academic Writing Sample (Masters applicants should submit a chapter from an Honours long paper or the equivalent thereof)
- A three page description of research project and plan of work for the period of fellowship (not applicable to Honours)
- Academic transcripts
- Copies of degrees
Please note that your referee letters are not to be uploaded or submitted with this application. You are to ask your referees to send their letters directly to Micaela Felix at email@example.com.
There are three sections to this application; Demographic Information, Curriculum Vitae and Document Upload. Please ensure that all sections are completed and that there are no errors, and please ensure that all your documents are uploaded either via the online application form or via email.